Question regarding English Bridging course

Preeti:
English bridging course
anyone who done this english bridging course or who r going through this course please tell me what exactle are they?....i cant meet english requirement so that's why uni offer me this course..please guide me what exactly done in this course??plzz reply

Answer:
Because many people do not get desired IELTS results to score seat and visa for Australia they are asked to do English bridging courses in Australia before they can start their main course of study. Following was my answer to Preeti's query

I do not want to sound rude but I have couple of suggestions for you.

Start with writing proper English instead of using single letter words in place of proper words in your routine writing. Following are few examples:
U - you
M - am
r8 - right

All these things matters when you are appearing for the any English test.Also enroll in a small training course for IELTS. Other than English you also need to practice the tests because you need to familiarise yourself to the testing structure. To clear listening and writing exams other than English you need good practice because during exam if you will be struggling with one answer, you need to move on and come back to it later on because audio tape is not going to be played again. These kind of things you will only learn with practice.

Most of the British Council libraries in India has small training material books with audio cassettes which you can buy. Those books and material helps you to understand what you should be expecting in the tests and how does candidates gets marked.

All the money you will spend while learning in India (or other countries) will still be cheaper than what you will be paying here on a bridging classes and your stay here in Australia while attending those classes.

As Junaid mentioned its a good idea to clear IELTS in your own country instead of coming here and doing a bridging course.

On another note, a lot of people who think their tests went well but did not get good score it used to be the case that one could apply for re-evaluation of the tests. I am one of those who happens to get it rechecked and it was found out that my writing and listing tests were miss placed by the British Council, I ended up re-appearing and got better results as I expected. It was more than 8 years ago I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Raj

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi!,
I am coming there(in mebourne) as a diploma student of ozford college in mebourne,could you please tell which job I can do there as part time over there. i have done ccna,mcp,rhce.i hve no work experience.
thanking you
Rajan Katwal said…
Greetings,

There are lot of jobs one can do here in Australia but you need to be aware that as a international student one cannot work more than 20 hours in a week while being on student visa. Please check restrictions applied to your visa before starting to work.

You have CCNA,MCP, RHCE but a lot of people here do nto look at these certifications, instead that like to test people by asking them to do certain tasks.

Rest you will find more once you are here. It would be a little hard to find work without work experience.

Thanks,
Raj
Anonymous said…
Hi Rajan,
Great to see you devoting your precious time in providing valuable guidence.
I am expecting PR in Jan2008.
I am a IT professional(Oracle DBA telcom sector), just want to know that which city is good -- Melbourne Or Perth--
to settle with family and kids education point of view as my son is going to appear in Xth exam in coming March

Rajesh Yogi
Rajan Katwal said…
Hi Rajesh,

Melbourne and Perth are nearly the same in terms of jobs and infrastructure. Melbourne established and developed long ago and Perth is the hot favourite these days.

There are a lot of jobs in mining area in Perth but I am not too sure about IT jobs. In Sydney and Melbourne there are quite a lot IT jobs, especially Sydney.

In terms of living expense Sydney, Melbourne and Perth are respectively expensive.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Raj
Anonymous said…
Thanks Rajan.
I miss-splet , I am expecting PR in Jan 2009. Ok I have started thinking for Melbourne.
Will you please provide links for rent for family accomodation , schools extra.

Rajesh.
Rajan Katwal said…
Hi Rajesh,

I believe I wrote that ifnromation somewhere in this blog.

Please check Accomodation in Australia lable on the right hand side of blog.

Thanks,
Rajan
Anonymous said…
Hi Rajan,

I went through the links mentioned by you.They are very helpfull and the rent per week for family apartments are in reach.
Also I read in your blog that its difficult to have Rented appt. without job.Can it be possible to have appt. with deposit of 6-12 months in advance? , as I think when I visit melbourne , may be it takes two-three months to search a job.

Thanks,

Rajesh.
Rajan Katwal said…
Hi Rajesh,

Yes, That is a trick that I have seen many people were using.

They pay for the bond and 12 months rent in advance to secure a house on rent when they do not have jobs. That way agent will be satisfied that you have already paid for a year.

Just remember no one can force you to submit 12 months rent in advance. There is usually a booklet available at all agents (its mandatory from Govt.) which explains all the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tannents.

Hope that helps.

Rajan

Popular posts from this blog

How to watch sattalite channels from other countries e.g. India, Vietnam, Italy, China, Japan and so on using IPTV over the internet in Australia

Would Tata Sky work in Australia ?

Questions from overseas students to me